Listed below are 4 Scientific Method crossword puzzles you can use right now, or, since this topic is always relevant, you can save them for later this year when you need something to fill in part of a class period.
- https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Science-Skills-Crossword-Puzzle-249866 (Note- as of this writing there are 3 mistakes on this puzzle you’ll need to correct- 2. should read “.01 m”; on 29. remove the word “outside” in the clue because that’s actually the answer; and on 30. remove the word “electron” for the same reason.)
Answers to most of these science puzzles are posted online, so you may not want to send it home with students.
A few strategies when using these-
- Reward students for working quietly on a puzzle by giving them 1 free answer every 5 or so minutes (pick a random student and let them choose which). That costs you very little to get a lot more effort out of your students.
- If you have extra time at the end, go over some/all answers
- If answers choices are listed at the bottom, cover up some or all so students can’t see them
- Important- give your students the right difficulty of puzzle. Too easy and they’ll finish too soon; too hard and they won’t want to work on it.
What other strategies have you used to keep students engaged with crossword puzzles?